photo
Omojuwura

It is beautiful to be a writer. It also a powerful thing as well, the power of the pen is so great. You can make or mar with your pen. It is just like the sword, it can save as well as mar. What you write have great way of influencing readers, so you need be  of a good influence. I am happy you discovered yourself, accepted it, picked the pen and with boldness put it to paper. It is a beautiful step indeed. Discovering yourself is not enough, writing is a serious work. To be the best you desired to be in it, you have to be diligent, disciplined, focused, determined and love what you do – passion is the light of your pen. Writing in literature is wide, and it can take the all of you, so be ready to give it all.I will like to share few things with you that will help you start writing in a beautifil way. I believe these will in simple ways be of help.
[list]
[*]BELIEVE IN YOURSELF. Friends,you have what it takes. You have the ink in your pen, you are talented, you are creative, you are innovative and you are going to make a difference. This is not mere saying; these are part of who you are. Believe in yourself, don’t be intimidated by the great achievements of great authors, if they can, you can do what they did, you can do much more. You have the inner strength, you have updated knowledge flowing everywhere, you have resource persons around you. You can do much more. So believe with me, you are great in there, let it flow.
[*]DISCOVER YOURSELF. Self-discovery in all things helps you to know yourself – the you in you. It also helps you give your best. Discover the genre that works best for you. By this I mean, the genre where you best express yourself . Hold to it and make a wonder out of it. Don’t copy others, or because your mentor or role model excel in one genre you believe it is yours. It may be, it may not, so discover yourself to know the genre that work for you and  be yourself.
[/list]
Under that genre, you still have types, go down to know the type that work best for you. For example, in drama, it may be comedy that works for you, pick it, cherish it, love it, work on it and make a wonder out of it .
          The point of view. Get to know the point of view that works best for you. Do you express yourself better in first person point of view? Make the most of it. Better still, you can have different point of view for different stories, depending on the one that help you give the best of that story.
         >If you are multitalented and who can use all, go on and do great exploit.
[list]
[*]GIVE YOUR WRITING A PURPOSE FROM THE BEGINNING. Defining the purpose of your writing from the beginning will guide you as you write. You can choose to write to educate, inspire, motivate, correct, reform. All work of art must entertain, so make all your work entertaining. You may also want to write and give it out for free or make money through it. Writing is a serious work so you can’t write aimlessly.  Have aims and objective for your work(s) before you start and after writing, check to know whether you have achieved them or not. Don’t let any book go out without lesson for readers. Don’t be too rigid; make it flexible yet worth reading.
[*]GIVE YOURSELF TO KNOWLEDGE. You need knowledge, talent alone is not enough, sharpen it with knowledge. Read books, check the net for websites that have good information on literature or the concept you want to write about. You can go for face to face interview, speak to people who have results. Field work, personal research. Observe and be updated about your environment. Read works of great authors in your field.
[/list]
           You need to get information on literature in general. You need to get information on the genre that suit you best.  Get information on the concept you want to write on. For example, if you want to write about a people, you need to know the history of this people. Go into serious study of their history. It will make your writing a walk over, it will also give you credibility. When they read your book, they will surely find the story reflecting them.
            Read, read, read! Readers are better writers because they are vast and rich in knowledge. Read outside literature works as well, read histories, speech, news, books, holy books and more. Aside been rich in knowledge, reading can spark ideas and good concept in you.
[list]
[*]GIVE YOURSELF TO WRITING. “Though thy beginning be small, your end shall greatly increase” Don’t judge your end by your beginning. You are just starting out, don’t be harsh on yourself, don’t judge yourself so quick. Write and write again. Even if your friends laugh at you, don’t drop the pen. Hold to it, pick your story and see what is wrong with it, work on those things and re-write same story. It will come out better, you can’t be your best at the beginning, but as you work on, your best will begin to shine. Make it a habit to write daily, even if it is few lines. Don’t let your book get dusty; let it always feel the pen. Sometimes when you hold your pen, idea flows. So let your writing device be your love.
[*]BREAK RULES TO MAKE RULES.  This simply means, be creative and innovative. Don’t be afraid to create your own style. I boldly tell you friends, if the best way to express yourself is out of the traditional genre, create yours. Breathe freshness into the literary world. Don’t doubt you, you have gotten new and beautiful things in there, freely let it out.
[/list]
To be creative you need your mind, imagination, meditation and deep thinking, so keep your mind off junks. Let it be concentrated on the concept you are working on.The best in the world of literature is yet to come, so use your mind to bring us beautiful things.
[list]
[*]DO NOY COMPETE WITH ANYBODY.  By this I mean, don’t compare yourself to anyone. Be yourself and be your best. You see, most times when we begin to compare ourselves to another, we begin to lose our originality. “Those who compare themselves are fools” Friends, you are unique, there is something great in you, don’t allow comparism make it dormant. It is good to read from others, it is good to learn from others, it is good to have role models, it is good to have mentor but never let your original self slip away with all these. Hold to yourself, stay in your path, there is a message in you for the world. Note that, all the knowledge gotten is to help project you not to kill you. So be guided, guard your originality with all, diligence.
[*] BE ADVENTUROUS: Try new (many) things out. Let your mind take you to spaces beyond the cloud. Let you imagination birth things that are wonderful. Try them up in small stories before raising it to bigger ones.
[*]LEARN ENGLISH OR BE GOOD IN THE ANY LANGUAGE OF  CHOICE. You have to be the master of the language you are using to write before you can best express yourself. So if you are not sure you have the mastery of the language you want to use to write, get to learn. This will help you a lot. Your case won’t be like one who have the idea but lack the words or correct words to express it. It will tame the potential in you. Please go for language course if need be.
[*]SURROUND YOURSELF WITH GOOD WRITERS. Surround yourself with visionary writers who have positive minds and are good at what they are doing. Surround yourself with those who share same passion with you and their life style inspire you. Surround yourself with those going same direction with you, those you can rob minds together and those who can help review your work and give you a positive feedback. Don’t seek approval of your work from those who have no clue, those who don’t have your time and those who will negatively criticize you thereby breaking your spirit.
[*]DO NOT BE DEFENSIVE: By this I mean, don't defend your errors. Be open to critics. When they come, pick the things useful for you in their response or reaction and make use of it to effect a change in your works. Critique help us to know how works are, they help us to get better if they come from right sources. No matter how, don't offence when your work is been criticised. 
[/list]

I want to see you at the top. I want to see your names on bestsellers shelf. I believe in you and I know you can. Have best of time writing. Make sure the ones your friends call best is not your best, keep moving, keep leaning, keep working on yourself,keep writing, keep sharing.

1 Like
13 Apr, 20
photo
Omojuwura
See you at the top.

6 months ago
You have to be Logged in to add a comment